Auto accidents in Katy, Texas can happen on a fairly regular basis. Certified Paralegals Community reports that as many as 6 million car accidents happen per year. Sometimes, these accidents happen through no fault of our own. Unexpected car repairs can be expensive, but people who have Katy car insurance are less likely to feel the financial stress of getting their vehicle repaired. Insurance works to help control unexpected expenses. Because there are many different types of auto insurance policies, you can find one that covers the majority of Houston auto glass and auto body damage you are likely to experience.
Different types of car insurance policies can include some of the following:
- Liability coverage: This comes into play when damage is done to someone else’s vehicle. Example: You fail to yield to another vehicle, and hit them, causing physical damage to their vehicle. Liability coverage takes care of the costs to repair their vehicle.
- Collision coverage: Any damage to your car from hitting another vehicle or object. Example: You accidentally hit a telephone pole, causing damage to the back of your car. Collision coverage is used to pay for the repairs.
- Comprehensive coverage: This sort of coverage is used for damages beyond your control. Situations like theft, or weather are often covered by comprehensive coverage. Example: Your windshield is cracked or chipped due to a hail storm. It is determined that your windshield will need to be replaced. Comprehensive coverage helps to cover these costs, as well as sometimes providing you with a rental car while your car is being fixed.
- Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage: This type of coverage is used when the insurance of someone else responsible for your damage either does not have insurance, or their coverage is too low to cover all the necessary repairs. Example: You get into an accident where your car is damaged. The other driver is at fault, but they do not have insurance coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage will cover costs normally paid by the at fault driver’s insurance company.
- Medical Payments Coverage: If you or another driver involved in an accident is injured, this policy will cover any medical expenses. Example: You need to quickly stop your vehicle, this causes the driver behind you to rear end you. This leaves you with whiplash. Medical payments coverage will cover medical bills associated with the injury.
It is important to note that every type of insurance policy has a different deductible. A deductible is used to determine how much you pay for the coverage and are responsible for paying towards repairs before the insurance steps in to help. For example, if the windshield that was damaged costs $300.00 to be replaced, and your comprehensive coverage deductible is $500.00, you will likely want to pay for the replacement yourself to avoid changes in insurance costs later down the line.
The most important thing to remember dealing with any type of vehicular damage is to stay calm, and speak to professionals. Your insurance company will be happy to discuss the proper steps and recommend professionals to help you along the way.
There are no comments yet.